The Drill is a machining tool designed to bore through material such as metal or wood. Since the invention of the drill various types have been developed such as the pistol grip, the Hammer drill, Rotating hammer, cable less drill, Stationary drill pillar, geared head and the radial drilling machine.
Mechanism of the radial drill machine
- The head. This is where the drilling bit is located and has special gears for holding the bit.
- The driving system; Comprised of a speed variation gearbox for adjusting the speed of operation which can be increased or reduced depending on the operation.
- The handles; used for guiding the drilling tool, as well as moving the head in both directions.
- The supporting column, where by the head and the arm rotate about.
- The main feature of the radial drilling machine that puts it ahead of the rest is the gearing system that enables it to rotate over a wide circumference making it able to drill heavy works and even larger diameter holes hence perform heavy industrial works.
- Key contributions of the radial drill have been several to the industry have been the flexibility and the ease of operation while working on heavy duty equipment. The radial drill can also be customized to handle various tasks such as spot facing, boring, drilling and even counter boring.
- Ability to drill large diameter holes of up to 110 millimeters in thickness ,this has been due to the wide area of operation afforded by the drill.